Sunday, August 4, 2013

Love: The Romance of Albert and Victoria

I happen to have a sort of fetish of all things British. Whether it is Kate Middleton and the Royal Baby or Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. I can't seem to get enough. So the day that Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge was born I decided to be British. I watched one of my all time favorite movies The Young Victoria.  It tells a story of one of the most romantic love stories ever. It is the story of the romance between Albert and Victoria. Their uncle, King Leopold of Beligum, used Albert by having him court and win the love of Victoria to get Britain's assistance in Belgium. However, it was not in his favor. After marrying on February 10, 1840, they eventually didn't listen to him and did what was best for England. Their romance was one of the most remarkable. It was an arranged marriage, however they fell madly in love. Albert helped Victoria during her reign by giving her guidance where it was needed. Their love was so strong. He was the only person that loved her like that. He wasn't in for the power that was offered but to be with her. Their honeymoon only lasted three days because as Queen, Victoria had many duties. However, Victoria stated in her diary, "I NEVER, NEVER spent such an evening!!! MY DEAREST DEAREST DEAR Albert ... his excessive love & affection gave me feelings of heavenly love & happiness I never could have hoped to have felt before! He clasped me in his arms, & we kissed each other again & again! His beauty, his sweetness & gentleness – really how can I ever be thankful enough to have such a Husband! ... to be called by names of tenderness, I have never yet heard used to me before – was bliss beyond belief! Oh! This was the happiest day of my life!" Their relationship is something that I truly marvel at. The devotion and care for one another that they had is unlike any other romance. It was beautiful and it was real. During their twenty year reign together, Victoria and Albert did so much for Great Britain. They were both very passionate about helping people, especially the poor.  They also had nine children. Their life together was cut short when Albert got ill and eventually died at the age of 42. After his death, Queen Victoria had his clothes laid out every day until her own death after reigning another 39 years. She never married again. The best thing about Victoria and Albert was that their love was true. They went through trials, like when Victoria was shot at by an assassin. But within this story, I find hope in love. The idea that it still exists even today. Many times, I forget that, even though there are a lot of divorces, there are people like Victoria and Albert who love each other dearly and would take a bullet for their spouse. I find that true love. Love is our identity, love is action, and love is sacrifice. That is what Victoria and Albert show us. They demonstrate the definition of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment